Handmade rugs are valuable pieces of art and should be treated with care. Cleaning techniques used for wall to wall carpet (like steam-cleaning) are not recommended for area rugs, especially handmade rugs. Avoid dry-cleaning or incorrectly cleaning them yourself with carpet cleaning products available off-the-shelf at many department stores as this may cause irreversible damage.
Our rug cleaning is done offsite by experts in stages to maximize the outcome while protecting the beauty of your oriental rugs:
1. Dust removal by compressed air and mild but adequate agitation to get out loose soil and debris.
2. Prolonged, deep immersion in continuously flowing water and specially formulated mild neutral detergents suitable for that particular type of rug* to loosen the deeply embedded and compacted soil and debris.
*The special detergent we use for a synthetically dyed wool rug cannot be used for a vegetable-dyed rug or a silk and wool rug or an herbal or tea-washed rug. That is why washing a rug at home is discouraged because it may damage or completely ruin a rug.
3. Agitation to dislodge the foreign materials loosened during the immersion process;
4. Rinsing with penetrating water jets to take out any remaining foreign materials and residual soap.
5. Air drying in open air and sun light to freshen up the rug.
We also undertake deep wash, rug stain and odor removal by specially formulated agents. We pick-up and deliver anywhere in the metro Atlanta area for a nominal charge. Check with us for details.